Thursday, May 6, 2010

T-Minus 22 Days

Twenty-two days away from leaving. The nervousness is setting in. Expected.
I was cleaning my apartment today - it became a wreck over Exam week.
I found something that reminded me of how strong I have become.
When I was sixteen I was diagnosed with Lordosis (a condition where the lower vertebra of my spine were to close together and where crushing the nerves that run into my legs and arms). Kind of like the opposite of scoliosis. We tried to correct it with physical therapy but (as the doctor suspected) my case was not one that could be fixed so easily. The numbness in my legs and arms got worse and the back pain continued to escalate. It was scary. Losing the feeling in my limbs from time to time. I remember tripping over myself a lot during that time or dropping my pencil more then normal. It came down to one decision, deal with the progression of it or have corrective spinal fusion. Fusion. That word sparked fear into me. I immediately thought that I'd be unable to turn or twist and that was a new level of fear. But after reviewing the pros and cons I decided to take the surgery. I didn't want to end up in a wheelchair some day because I didn't take the chance. Of course the surgery required extensive work around the spinal cord - not exactly the safest surgery, but they all come with their risks. Ones worth taking.
But to the point, what made me more confident and at ease.
I was walking out of the doctors office a few weeks before the surgery. I was in a state of depression because I would be home schooled for roughly three months and I had to quit soccer - my passion and source of happiness. I was bummed to say the least.
But I suppose thats why God stepped in.
On my way to the car I noticed a coin on the ground and picked it up (who doesn't like finding a quarter in the parking lot?). But it wasn't a quarter. It was a coin with a soccer player on it. It was worn but not beyond identification. I flipped it over and found these words on the back of it: "With God, All Things Are Possible."
I'm a person who believes that things can happen by coincidence but I will never believe that finding that coin at that time was a matter of coincidence.
God gave me that push on the back, forcing me step forward and face everything that challenged me.
I still have that coin. Its a little more worn but I can still see the soccer player and I can still read the words.
This little coin will be a source of unending strength for me. Always.
It'll be in my pocket as I take my next step forward, traveling to find that new level of change that I need to continue on my path of life.


Let The Good Times Roll
-Thanks God. I owe you one.

2 comments:

  1. Amazing! What an inspiration!

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit-
    Thank for sharing- I am wondering if that is what your neighbor has across the street?? I love your writing- you made me feel like I was there with you!
    Rachelle

    ReplyDelete